Hooked on Books
Give a Child a Book and You Give a Child the World
Did you know that many children in the Kansas City area do not have a book at home to call their own? Your school can help change that by joining the 2015 Hooked on Books School Challenge. Over the past 15 years, nearly 795,000 books have been collected through this challenge and distributed to agencies and schools serving lower-income families.
It's easy to participate. Here's how:
- 1) Complete an online application to be a School Participant.
- 2) Schedule your own book drive any time between January 12th and February 27th.
- 3) Posters will be delivered to identify a receptacle of your choice for book donations at your school.
- 4) Collect new and gently-used books appropriate for children ages birth to 14.
- 5) Count the books at the end of the collection period, and email email@example.com to report the number of books collected by March 3rd.
- 6) Upon completion of your book drive, donated books will be picked up by a Hooked on Books volunteer.
- 7) The school that collects the most books per student within the designated time period is the Challenge winner.
The winner will be announced at Reach Out and Read's annual Green Eggs and Ham Breakfast, March 6th at 7:30am. In addition, the students win an assembly celebrating their accomplishment and the school wins a $500 gift certificate from Scholastic Books. Your school's efforts and hard work collecting books also count towards the President's Volunteer Service Award.
The biggest winners of all, however, are the disadvantaged children. Without your school's participation, they may not realize the joy of having a book to call their own.
Do you want to participate in another way? Join Hooked on Books today and register to be a volunteer or a book recipient (nonprofit organizations and schools serving at-risk children only). We hope you will join us with this year's challenge of getting Kansas City kids Hooked On Books! For additional information, please call the Hooked On Books Hotline at 913.940.8219 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.